- Certification: QQI Level 5 Certificate in Business Studies
- Duration: One Year, September to May
This is a one year full-time programme that provides students with IT skills and knowledge to effectively respond to everyday business situations. The course is also designed to enable students to gain an extensive understanding of the role and function of management in the business environment, and to develop effective IT skills.
- Programme of Study*
- Word Processing
- Text Production
- Bookkeeping – Manual and Computerised
- Spreadsheet Methods
- Business Administration Skills
- Applied Economics
- Work Experience
*Modules subject to change
- Entry Requirements
It is desirable that students should be of Leaving Certificate Standard or have achieved an Applied Leaving Certificate with Distinction. Portlaoise Institute welcomes applications from mature students. Mature students are assessed on their merits and do not require the above qualifications.
All students are required to complete an assessment before commencing a Further Education course in Portlaoise Institute. This assessment confirms if the student has the required level of English and Maths (if applicable) to complete a Level 5 course.
- Career Opportunities
- Students will have the qualifications required to work as an office administrator with public or private bodies in Ireland.
- Some students use this course to go into retail sales or front line reception
- Students have use this course to successfully apply for other careers e.g. Guards, Nursing, Teaching
- Higher Education Progression*
Here are examples of courses students can progress to based on successful completion:
Examples of courses you can progress to:
CAO Code Course Title College NFQ Level CW908 Business (with options) IT Carlow 8 CW938 Business with Law IT Carlow 8 AL852 Accounting Athlone IT 8 LC223 Law and Taxation Limerick IT 8 MH101 Arts Maynooth University 8
*Places are not guaranteed in these institutes and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual college websites for more information on application. Information available also at www.cao.ie
- Course Coordinator
Mary Ahern, firstname.lastname@example.org